v2/SSCH/21 May 2018 – /QA/GDPR/
This privacy notice explains the information used by Atlas Language School and our website: www.atlaslanguageschool.com
For further information read our Data Protection Policy and Policy on your Rights in Relation to your Data.
This privacy notice only refers to information collected by Atlas Language School.
This notice describes:
- What personally identifiable information is collected from you through our forms, communications and website,
- What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data,
- The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information,
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information,
- Information Collection, Use, and Sharing.
We are the sole owners of the information collected on our website.
We only have access to information that you voluntarily give us via email through our online forms or other direct contact from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone. We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfil your request.
Your access to and control over Information
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by contacting us via email@example.com:
• See what data we have about you;
• Change/correct any data we have about you;
• Ask us to delete any data we have about you;
• Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.
While we protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/files in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
What student information do we collect and why do we use it?
- We need to collect information from you when you book an English course with us.
- You will be asked for your name, nationality, date of birth, contact details and medical emergency contacts.
- You may also be asked for your passport or visa details if required, and specific medical and dietary information regarding your accommodation or study needs.
- During school activities, photographs may be taken of students. School photos may be used on our managed social media pages and marketing materials.
- All your personal information and photos will be kept securely and only used:
- to enrol you in our school,
- to process transactions,
- to help with visa applications,
- to book accommodation,
- to officially promote Atlas Language School.
Atlas Language School requires permission to use this information or any photographs taken of you. You may request this data at any time or tell us to remove it from our school records unless it is kept for legal reasons.
If you have any questions, please contact us:
Atlas Language School
Dublin D02 YH79,
+353 1 478 2845
Data Protection Statement
What do we use your information for?
- Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalise your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs).
- To improve our school (we continually strive to improve our language programmes based on the information and feedback we receive from you).
- To complete financial transactions.
- Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of enrolling you on one of our language programmes, personalise your experience (course, social programme, accommodation) or officially promoting Atlas Language School.
- To administer our health & safety records.
- To reply to emails.
- To be able to act appropriately in cases of emergencies.
Your personal data – what is it?
- Personal data is information which can be used to identify you.
- Identification can occur because of data controlled by Atlas Language School.
- The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulations, GDPR.
Atlas Language School may collect and store:
Date of birth; contact details; nationality; gender; emergency phone number; payment information; passport and visa details (if required); medical conditions, special educational needs, allergies, and any requirements you state; test and examination results, school photos and videos.
Who are we?
Atlas Language School is the data controller. This means Atlas Language School decides how and why your personal data is used and kept.
How do we process your personal data?
Atlas Language School complies with GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use and share your personal data for the following purposes:
- To provide our booking team with relevant information to successfully enrol students on our language programmes and accommodation options.
- To help our academic team and teachers place students in a class at the correct level.
- To process financial transactions and operate the language school.
- To maintain our student, employee, agent and host family files.
- To maintain our health and safety records.
- To maintain our own financial accounts and academic records.
- To meet our accreditation requirements.
- To assist non-EEA students in applying for a student visas in Ireland.
- To assist in opening Irish bank accounts where applicable.
- To order medical insurances where requested and required.
- To maintain attendance records for immigration services.
- To promote the school and communicate with students regarding events and news.
- To enrol students in English language examinations.
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
These fall under either article 6 or article 9 – dealt with separately below:
Article 6 of GDPR- Lawfulness of processing
- With the consent of the data subject
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract with the data subject or to take steps to enter into a contract (see terms and conditions)
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (financial records are kept to meet our legal tax obligations, student records are kept for our accreditation requirements and immigration authorities)
- Processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject or another person (health and safety obligations)
- Processing is necessary for the legitimate interests of the data controller except where such interests are overridden by the interests, rights or freedoms of the data subject (to promote the language school and communicate information to students)
Article 9 of GDPR- Processing of special categories of personal data
- Explicit consent of the data subject
- Processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or where courts are acting in their judicial capacity (visa applications and visa requirements for non-EU students)
- Processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest on the basis of EU or Member State law (health and safety records, visa applications and visa requirements for non-EU students)
- Processing is necessary for the smooth operation of any student insurance policies
- Processing is necessary for archiving purposes in the public interest, or scientific and historical research purposes or statistical purposes (enrolment information)
Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated in the strictest confidence and will only be shared with relevant staff of Atlas Language School, to meet its legal requirements or, where applicable, with trusted partner organisations providing services such as social programme activities, medical care, insurance cover, visa application support, bank account opening, or immigration services. We will only share your data with other third parties with your express consent.
How long do we keep your personal data?
In order to meet our operational obligations there is no time limit on how long we keep your personal data, unless you request your data to be removed from our system.
Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under GDPR you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which Atlas Language School holds about you;
- The right to request that Atlas Language School corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Atlas Language School to retain such data;
- The right to withdraw your consent to data processing at any time;
- The right to request that the data controller provides the data subject with his/her personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, (known as the right to data portability);
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data, (where applicable), unless required for legitimate or legal reasons;
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner.
Transfer of Data Abroad
Your personal data may only to be transferred to countries or territories outside the EU with your express consent if required.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
To exercise all relevant rights, queries of complaints please in the first instance contact Alan Brennan (Managing Director) at:
Atlas Language School
Dublin D02 YH79,
+353 1 4782845
Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
21 Fitzwilliam Square
+353 57 8684800
+353 (0)761 104 800